What We Believe
Here at First Baptist Church, we are grounded in the “2000 Baptist Faith and Message” Doctrinal Statement. (Summary Below)
- The Scriptures: The Holy Bible was written by men divinely inspired and is God’s revelation of Himself to man.
- God: There is one and only one living and true God.
A. God the Father: God as Father reigns with providential care over His universe, His creatures, and the flow of the stream of human history according to the purposes of His grace.
B. God the Son: Christ is the eternal Son of God.
C. God the Holy Spirit: The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God, fully divine.
- Man: Man is the special creation of God, made in His own image.
- Salvation: Salvation involves the redemption of the whole man, and is offered freely to all who accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour, who by His own blood obtained eternal redemption for the believer.
- God’s Purposes of Grace: Election is the gracious purpose of God, according to which He regenerates, justifies, sanctifies, and glorifies sinners.
- The Church: A New Testament church of the Lord Jesus Christ is an autonomous local congregation of baptized believers, associated by covenant in the faith and fellowship of the gospel; observing the two ordinances of Christ, governed by His laws, exercising the gifts, rights, and privileges invested in them by His Word, and seeking to extend the gospel to the ends of the earth.
- Baptism and the Lord’s Supper: Christian baptism is the immersion of a believer in water in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The Lord’s Supper is a symbolic act of obedience whereby members of the church, through partaking of the bread and the fruit of the vine, memorialize the death of the Redeemer and anticipate His second coming.
- The Lord’s Day: The first day of the week is the Lord’s Day. It is a Christian institution for regular observance.